Projects and Southern Piping rebrand
Following his father’s retirement, Chris Williford became the President of Southern Piping Company. Chris has worked tirelessly to continue to grow his family’s business. In 1965, Buren Williford started Southern Piping Company as a two employee family business in Wilson, NC. While the headquarters is still in Wilson, SPC now has offices in Charlotte, Raleigh, Wilmington and Winston-Salem. Since becoming President, Chris has overseen the completion of important projects by every SPC Mechanical office.
A few notable projects are listed below:
- SPC Wilmington worked with Rodgers Builders to complete a renovation and expansion of the Dosher Memorial Hospital Patient Wing. The Dosher Memorial Hospital is located in Southport. SPC repiped the entire existing primary piping system, renovated the existing cooling system, and installed a chiller and boiler.
- SPC Wilson Construction Division completed the 127,000 square foot Hoke Health Pavilion in Fayetteville. SPC provided the HVAC, plumbing, med gas, and insulation packages for this project, which is a two story building adjacent to the existing Hoke Health facility.
- SPC Winston Salem completed the construction of a 57,000 square foot facility for BE Aerospace Testing and Research, which is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of aircraft cabin interior products.
- SPC Winston Salem completed student apartment buildings at Centennial Square II for High Point University. This project included about 930 fixtures and 93 units, and was completed on budget and on time.
- SPC Raleigh recently completed the renovation of a 120,000 square foot facility in Durham for Duke University. The space was originally the Carmichael Warehouse, and was built by Liggett and Meyers in the mid-1920s to store and dry tobacco. Now it contains state of the art laboratory and research facilities.
- SPC Raleigh completed the first major renovation of The Reynolds Coliseum at NC State University since it opened in 1949. SPC installed the first air conditioning for the assembly area and arena since it opened.
While continuing to grow, the Williford Family has worked to update the business model of ‘Southern Piping Company”. In recent years, SPC expanded their business model to include insulation installation and a wider range of services. Shortly thereafter, the family rebranded the company to SPC Mechanical.
“We wanted to keep the SPC but we felt like ‘mechanical’ better describes our primary focus. We provide HVAC and plumbing construction that includes plumbing installations and heating and air conditioning installations to a wide variety of clients and customers. We felt like now, at our fiftieth, is a good time to re-brand the name” said President Chris Williford.